The Spirit of Music - an Intro. to Music Theory and its History; a one-day course
Understanding the theory of music and how it has developed in a historical context deepens the listener's and the player's appreciation. Enjoy exploring some musical topics that will provide you with the inspiration go further along your chosen musical path.
Venue: Ford House, GL18 1LQ, nr Newent, with its lovely house and grounds. Time: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Date: Saturday, 17th May, 2014. If interested, please enquire. Tutor: Bill Anderton
Menu for the Day:
1. From Classical Greece to Baroque to Contemporary, recognising the character of musical eras. Monody; polyphony, counterpoint and fugue. A music history time line. Music - art or science?
2. Music's Modes, Keys and Key Changes, Harmony and Dissonance.
3. Phrasing and Cadence; Chords and Chord Progressions.
4. The Harmonic Series and Timbre. Tempo and Dynamics.
5. An introduction to contemporary music.
Cost: £20.00, including refreshments; bringyour own lunch.
Individual Lessons, from beginners to advanced. £10 per half hour lesson. Make contact if you would like to arrange a free trial lesson in Newent, near Gloucester. I cover a wide range of topics, including appropriate ear training, but will focus this to create a personalised syllabus to meet your own particular needs. A typical syllabus is shown below:
Contact me for more information or to book a place on the next course.
Musical Experience: A lifetime's interest in contemporary and classical music with some Guildhall training and rock violin in the mix. Current leader of the Newent Orchestra and a founder member of Baroque trio, Trio Carnevale.